1. LEADERS:Designate a few leaders to make decisions for the group and organize the event.
2. LOCATION:Chose a location. We’ll walk through the steps to make your family reunion a huge success in Bellegarde.
3. THEME:It’s important to group members for a reason. Here are a few suggestions: Birthday Anniversary The family's heritage
4. THE ACTIVITIES:Grouping people together is fun but they will look for ways to break the ice and socialize. Here are a few suggestions that work well in Bellegarde: Ice Breaker Games: Any sports. There is a large football field and play park, or even rent the school gym. Host a varity of age related games: i. The ACFB rents a bouncy castle. ii. The play park Leave opportunity for spontaneous activities. There is plenty of room for running and dancing. Consider fun prizes such as longest distance travelled. Souvenirs If you plan to visit old family homesteads or the cemetery, contact: ACFB for details 306-452-6324. Simple ideas: i. host a BBQ in the park ii. plan a camping event
6. MENU: For larger reunions keep it simple and within the budget. Catering options: Contact ACFB for details
7. PROGRAMS: People need to know where to go and at what time, and what to bring. Have this information ready before you make invites.
8. BUDGET:Who pays what? Is a per-family registration fee needed? Creative ways for raising money: i. Silent auction ii. Raffle iii. Clothing iv. Books v. Reunion videos
9. THE GUESTS: Next, invite the guest by email, card, or phone. Pick a family relative on the family tree and have them invite entire families moving down the tree. Explain fees and deadlines Ask for photos, stories, collectables Ask them to bring: cameras and other items according to your planned events Ask if they can help; have a list of available jobs handy Note that bigger reunions need to be announced very far in advance: at least a year. If planning a costly trip where everyone must travel to another country give the guests a few years to prepare.
10. PREPARE FOR THE EVENT: a. Registration table includes guest book and name tags b. Signage: parking and bathrooms c. Family trees and photos should be available
11. FOLLOW UP: Keep a Facebook page running to share stories. Another great idea is an email list or newsletter.